First of all, why go paperless at home?
Individual reasons will differ but here are some of the top incentives
- Environmental concerns – decrease the amount of paper going into a landfill and even getting created in the first place by reducing the demand
- Reduce clutter - papers can pile up and be a headache. So many things to deal with. If you decrease the paper there is less hassle and “clutter” in your home and your mind
- Be better organized – If you aren’t good at filing and organizing your papers it may not matter if you keep a document, you’ll probably never be able to find it. There are tools online that will help you be more organized with a minimum of effort.
- Be more efficient when finding documents. You will be able to find your personal documents with a search, similarly to how you use google to find websites.
- Save money – no need to buy reams of paper, notebooks or binders
- Fewer paper cuts!
Be sure as you convert important documents to paper that you:
- Have a backup of your digital files
- Have a local copy of important files and information in case of a power outage.
What to keep a paper copy of
- Tax records the government requires you to keep on hand. Keep digital files of these forever though.
- Legal documents such as wills, trusts, titles, birth, marriage and divorce certificates and other legal documents. Keep a digital copy of these as well. They will be easy to find for reference and can be available anywhere you are.
- Any document with a raised seal or that has been notarized.
What are your top reasons for wanting to go paperless at home? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
|Disclosure: Please note that some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all resources that I am recommending because they are helpful and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products. Please do not spend money unless you really need the resource and it will help you reach your goals.|
Latest posts by Lori (see all)
- Easier Family Shopping Tips and Review Of Online Grocery Shopping Sites - February 24, 2015
- How To Stop Worrying About That Big SnowStorm On The Way - February 22, 2015
- Get More Done Without Focusing On Productivity - February 20, 2015