Family Camping: Make It Fun For Everyone
By: Lori Thayer
Camping can be fun. No, really, I'm serious. If you think of camping as dirty, uncomfortable and boring, think again. Camping allows time for you to learn new skills, do fun outdoor activities and really connect as a family. Ok, you might get a bid dirty but try it, you might enjoy it for a change. Bring an inflatable mattress to sleep well at night too.
Let's explore how to make camping fun for the whole family.
When planning a camping trip one of the things to think about are what activities does everyone enjoy. Have some things planned that everyone can enjoy. If that isn't possible what 2-3 activities would cover everyone's interests.
Suggested Daytime Activities
- Lake Fishing
- Boating (paddle boat, canoo, kayak, motor boat)
- Wildlife viewing and identifying
- Games at camp
- Card Games
- Travel scrabble
- Many of the games I suggested on my better family road trip article would be great while camping too
- Set up a net between two trees and play volleyball
- Bring a set of golf clubs and play "pasture golf" (this game is really only suggested if you are way out in the boonies, far from others, with a lot of space). Set up flags for the "holes" and play away in a loose version of golf. It's a great way to pass a few hours when you are spending the whole day at the campsite.
- Jumping Pillow
- Basketball Court
Suggested Nighttime activities
- Cooking over the campfire -
- Cook your hotdog over the fire on a stick. Where else would you ever get to do this?
- Smores! If you've never eaten a smore you are in for a treat. If you don't know how to make them. Follow the easy guide on this page.
- Banana boats. This is a favorite campfire dessert of mine. Peel down one side of a banana but do not detach. Cut a slit in the banana with a knife. Push small marshmallows and chocolate pieces into the banana in the slit you cut. Pull the peel back up and wrap the banan in foil. Cook the banana in the coals of the fire for a while, try 5 minutes. Then open it back up, peel it open and eat it with a fork. It should be gooey and yummy!
- Make a whole mean in your cast iron dutch oven. This is a really fun way to cook and you can make anything.
- Sing-along – often someone in the group is a guitar player. It can be a lot of fun singing along as this person plays. No musical instrument is necessary though. What old songs do you know that you've never taught your kids. (especially fun with young children)
- Around the Campfire
- Ghost Stories – I do believe this is my teenage boys' favorite thing about camping
- Tell non-ghost stories too
- Make up a story. Each person tells a sentence and then it goes to the next person. This can be very entertaining.
- Check out the stars. Stars are amazing when you are camping outside the city. Most of us live in cities where we don't get to see the sky in it's full night-time brilliance. Be sure to stay up late for some star viewing.
Have the Right Equipment For The Activities You Plan
- Hiking Shoes
- Layers of clothing – the weather can fluctuate a great deal, depending on where you are
- Licenses for fishing or hunting
- Game equipment – cards, bocce ball set, croquet set, guitar
I wish you all fun camping. What are your favorite activities when you are camping? Share your thoughts in the comments below or on Facebook.
Lori Thayer is passionate about finding ways to have the best life, from healthy eating, healthy living, saving money and enjoying life. She is excited to share these tips with others. Improve your health with her FREE article "5 Easy Habits To Improve Your Health".