Handling Emotional Overload
By: Lori Thayer
Ever had your emotions totally take over? All of the sudden the emotion wells up and you can't contain it (or barely are hanging on by a thread). The emotion could be fear, anger, or sadness. What other emotions cause overload in you?
Have you ever been out in public and the tears start flowing and won't stop. Logically you know you shouldn't be upset but you can't seem to get control. You just get more and more frustrated by this outward sign of the emotion that is taking over.
Frustration is exactly what we want to avoid when the overload starts. Handle your next emotional overload with one or two of these simple tips below.
- Move to a quiet place, preferably all by yourself.
- Take many deep, even breaths, at least 10. If you catch the overload early this may be all that you need.
- Soothe yourself with aromatherapy. Peace & Calming would be a great essential oil to diffuse for 15 minutes. If you don't have a diffuser simply put a few drops on your palms and cup your hands over your nose. Breathe in the scent deeply through your nose. The essence of this oil will help calm your emotions and uplift your spirit.
- Meditate for a few minutes. Focus on a am image or memory that is relaxing and makes you feel secure.
- Sip some hot tea, try chamomile.
- Take a bath. Try a long bath with soothing music and some lovely Lavender added in to the water.
- Lie down for a nap. Allow your system to reset and recover with a short sleep.
- Work it out. Exercise can be a great way to boost your mood and recover from the emotional overload your body is feeling.
Which of these tips do you find most helpful? Let us know if the comments below.
Please help your children learn to deal with these difficult times too. Strong emotions can leave them very out of sorts, just like they do with us. Kids often don't have experience in how to handle these situations though. Teaching them to diffuse these emotions will be a life skill they will thank you for.
Have you experience emotional overload? Share your experience and how you dealt with it in the comments below or on Facebook.
Lori Thayer is passionate about finding ways to have the best life, from healthy eating, healthy living, saving money and enjoying life. She is excited to share these tips with others. Improve your health with her FREE article "5 Easy Habits To Improve Your Health".