Fall Family Traditions To Start Now
By: Lori Thayer
Are you sad that summer is over or are you excited for fall? Fall is a really fun time of year as the leaves begin to change and the weather is comfortably cool. Many of us associate the end of summer with kids returning to school, labor day vacation and …nothing much happening until Halloween.
Make fall something to look forward to by starting some fall family traditions this year.
Family traditions give us all something to look forward to as the months and years go by. They enrich our lives by giving us a special experience that will be remembered and enjoyed for years. A family tradition can be built around something as simple as a cartoon that is watched at the same time every year.
My husband and his sons have traditions around watching a few Charlie Brown cartoons in October. As soon as October 1st my youngest stepson starts asking when we are going to watch the show, even though he is a teenager now!
Family activities are a great way to connect with your spouse and kids. Having fun together will bring you all closer.
Those who live in an area where there are distinct seasons begin to see the leaves change this time of year. A scenic drive to view the changing of the leaves can be a fabulous family tradition.
- Start by finding out when the leaves are changing near you. Check today it might be happening right now!
- Pick a route. Look here for routes in Colorado. If you are in New England this site has a lot of great info for you. Elsewhere search for fall foliage, changing leaves, or leaf peeping in your state or country online.
- Pack a picnic lunch to take with, don't forget the beverages and a blanket. (Maybe even a thermos of hot chocolate)
- Load everyone into the car and head off on your drive.
- Stop and take a hike before you pick a spot for lunch. You'll get a chance to be surrounded by the beauty of the changing leaves and get some exercise in.
- Don't forget the camera. Submit your favorite pics to your local news station. A lot of them love to get candid photos to share online or on their TV broadcast. You never know you might win something for that great shot you took.
As the leaves begin to fall start a new tradition as you rake the leaves.
- Make raking the leaves a family activity, everyone participates.
- Rake the leaves into one big piles.
- You know what is next..take turns jumping into the pile. Yes, I know, this means you'll have to re-rake the leaves. The fun and memories will be worth it though.
- When you've finished jumping take a break with some hot apple cider.
- Use a special garbage bag for the leaves, the orange one with the pumpkin face. You can get some from Amazon or your local store.
Create a fun fall scene on the lawn.
It's too soon to get out the Halloween decorations but fall decorations can be almost as much fun.
Do as the photo above suggests and stuff some old clothes with newspaper. Top with a pumpkin decorated with a face and pose in a fun way. Everyone will have a good time setting up the scene, Sit back and enjoy the reactions of your friends and neighbors.
What are your favorite fall traditions? Did you have special traditions growing up? Share them below or on facebook.
Lori Thayer is passionate about finding ways to simplify and enrich life. She also shares tips on connecting more meaningfully with others. She is excited to share these tips with you. Check out her eBook, The Clean Routine. A system to bring order and calm to your home.