A well brings us water via an underground aquifer it is connected to. Wells are especially important for people who live outside major cities. In more rural setting people may have little or no access to water outside the well. This well must then supply all their water needs. It is used for running water inside the house, any watering of the lawn or for animals or even to wash the car. Demand for water on the aquifer feeding the well could exceed the supply if this happens the well has run dry and no more water can be taken from the aquifer.
We all have a similar well inside ourselves that we draw on for energy. This could be physical, mental or emotional resources that we need daily. Some days will be more physically taxing while others drain you emotionally and occasionally you may have to think so much your head starts hurting.
Is your energy well running dry?
Are you depleting these resources and not giving the well enough time to refill from that eternal spring inside you?
Most of us feel our lives are too busy and we don’t have enough time for all the things we want to do. We push ourselves to keep going and doing until we break. Your breaking point might cause you to become sick with the cold or flu, or maybe you have an emotional meltdown. We all have slightly different reactions as we are all wired a bit differently.
Last year I attended an all day, very large, music fest. In the afternoon I started to feel overwhelmed with all of the people that were there. (See the article where I talk about methods of protecting yourself from this type of overwhelm.) I actually laid down (it was an outdoor event) closed my eyes and breathed deeply, trying to stave off the overwhelm that was creeping up on me. I was already crying because I was already so close and when I sat up and opened my eyes and saw the sea of people I just couldn’t stay any longer.
I had fully depleted my well of resources and had to leave before the big, evening acts. I was sad, upset and ashamed that I couldn’t “handle it”. What are you trying to “handle” without having the adequate resources?
Prevent your well from going dry by considering what is causing the depletion of your resources.
- Are your or your children’s activities over scheduled? Is the stress of your busy schedule resulting in anxiety, frustration and overwhelm?
- Are you working too much?
- Are you pushing yourself to attend events that you know will overtax your resources? (like I was at the music fest)
- Are you overtaxing your body physically via too much exercise or by participating in too many physical activities?
- Possibly your mental tasks throughout the day are so extensive that they are giving you headaches and other ailments?
- Are you feeding your energy and allowing it to replenish? Beautiful images and nature are an example of how I feed my resources.
- Are you getting enough sleep
- Are you eating sufficiently and correctly?
Try meditating and journaling about where your resources might be getting depleted. Identifying the culprits is the best way to know how you can remedy the situation.
A few potential remedies:
- Get 8 hours of sleep. This may be easier said than done but be sure you are giving your body sufficient time for the recovery it needs. Laying down to sleep for only 6 hours means you don’t even have a chance for adequate sleep. Check out additional sleep tips to get a better night’s rest.
- Fuel your body with good, healthy food and water at regular intervals. If we don’t have fuel we can’t perform at our best and your resources won’t restore themselves.
- Feed your energy. If you are an introvert you need time alone in your own space to recharge your batteries. If you are an extrovert you need to be around others to get more energy.
- Identify your priorities. Are you spending your time and energy on the things that are most important to you? If not you may need to change up your schedule and activities. There is a finite number of hours in the day, spend your time and resources in the best possible manner.
Do you ever find your well being depleted? Share your experiences in the comments below or on Facebook.
|I seek to love and enjoy life, not just for a moment but the whole journey. My mission is to help you love and enjoy life too.
I’ve been stressed out, burned out, and hopeless and I clawed my way out of that place and now have the life I always wanted.
I see other busy women (like you) living the same busy pattern and my goal is to guide you on the path to enjoying and loving life.
Get my free 15 minute quick overwhelm relief video at http://www.LoriThayer.com.
|Disclosure: Please note that some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all resources that I am recommending because they are helpful and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products. Please do not spend money unless you really need the resource and it will help you reach your goals.|